Monday, January 25, 2010

Community

Yesterday I read through the article, Bulding a Knowledge Community at Hallmark Cards, and I found some interesting assertions about community. The primary characteristic that I noted is that a community is generally composed of volunteers, rather than mandatory assigned participants. I attended church yesterday, and as I looked at those that were around me, it became clear that they were all there by their own choice. The church is a perfect example of a knowledge community devoted to growing, innovation, and sharing knowledge of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I also observed the dynamic membership within the church community. As described at Hallmark, there is 10-20% of those that are willing to commit to serve additional time beyond Sunday to uphold other duties. The rest of the people I observed would be "lurkers" and "non-contributors." In the case of the church, a non-contributor would be a guest or irregular attender.

No comments:

Post a Comment